Town Clerk

Clerk FAQ's

Do I need a license for my dog?
Yes, it is a NYS law that every dog over the age of 4 months old needs to be registered. In the Town of Montgomery every dog owned or harbored in the Town for longer than 30 days must be licensed. Click here for more information about licensing your dog: Love Me, License Me. Download the dog license application here.

How do I obtain a marriage license?

Hours for issuing marriage licenses are:
Monday - Thursday from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Friday from 9:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.

*  Both parties must be present to apply for a marriage license. 
*  The cost is $40.00.  The Town of Montgomery accepts cash or checks.
*  There is a 24-hour waiting period from the time the license is issued.
*  After the 24-hour waiting period the license is valid for 60 calendar days.
*  You must provide one age-related document and one identity-related document.
     * Age-related documents would include a birth certificate (not from the hospital),
         baptismal record, naturalization record or census record.  This document must contain a 
         raised seal.
     *  Identity-related documents would include a driver's license, passport, employment 
         picture ID or immigration record.
     *  All documents must be in English.  If a document is not in English, it must be officially
*  If either party was previously married information regarding the previous marriage(s) must
    be furnished.
     *  If divorced, final divorce papers must be furnished, which states that the marriage was
         dissolved and  includes the filing stamp from the County Clerk.
     *  If prior marriage ended in death, the death certificate must be furnished.

Do I need a license to renew my vows?
* Yes.  A second or subsequent ceremony occurs when a couple can prove that they are
    already married to each other, regardless of where the marriage occurred and wish to
    remarry the same person (i.e., renew their vows) in New York State.
*  The 24-hour waiting period is not a requirement for second or subsequent ceremonies.
*  The couple must bring in the same documents to prove age and identity.  The cost of a license
     for a second or subsequent marriage is the same ($40.00 - cash or check).

How do I register to vote?
You can pick up a registration form online (New York State Voter Registration Form) or at the Town Clerk's office and mail in your registration or register in person at the Orange County Board of Elections office.

For more information including qualifications to vote, voter registration deadlines, changes to your registration and other important information, go to: NYS Board of Elections

How do I apply for the STAR exemption on my school taxes?
You can get in touch with the Assessor's Office at 845-457-2650, option 7.  Visit our Assessor's page for more info.

How can I find out my tax payment bills and if they've been paid?
Click here to View or Print Property Tax Bills.

When do I pay my taxes?
Visit our Receiver of Taxes page.

Do I need a building permit?
Vist our Building Department page.

How do I pay a ticket?
Visit our Court Clerk's page.