Town Clerk

Disability Parking Permits

The Town of Montgomery Town Clerk is an issuing agent of parking permits for people with disabilities. To be eligible for a permit from our office, you need to live in the Town or in the Villages of Montgomery and Maybrook. Village of Walden residents can obtain their permits from the Walden Village Clerk.  You need not be a licensed driver or even own a car to be eligible for a handicap-parking permit.

A permit is issued to a person with a qualifying disability, and the permit may be used in any vehicle in which that person is riding. A qualifying disability is one or more of the following impairments, disabilities or conditions that affect mobility and are permanent in nature:

  1. Use of portable oxygen
  2. Legal blindness
  3. Limited use, or no use, of one or both legs
  4. Inability to walk 200 feet without stopping
  5. A neuro-muscular dysfunction that severely limits mobility
  6. A Class III or IV cardiac condition (American Heart Association Standards)
  7. Severe limitation in the ability to work due to an arthritic, neurological or orthopedic condition
  8. Restriction because of lung disease to such an extent that force (respiratory) expiratory volume for one second, when measured by spirometry, is less than one liter, or the arterial oxygen tension is less than sixty mm/hg of room air at rest.
  9. Any other physical or mental impairment not previously listed which constitutes an equal degree of disability, and imposes unusual hardship in the use of public transportation and prevents the person from getting around without great difficulty.

A Temporary Parking Permit may be issued when a person has a temporary disabling condition, which affects mobility so that the person is unable to walk without a cane, crutches, a walker or other assisting device.

You must obtain proof from a medical doctor (MD), doctor of osteopathy (DO) or doctor of podiatric medicine (DPM, licensed in NYS) only. Have your doctor fill out the medical certification, Part II, on the Application for License Plates and Parking Permits for People with Severe Disabilities (Form MV-664.1). Forms are available at the Town Clerk's Office or you may go to the link below to print your own application.

Permits may also be issued to a state facility or an agency listed by the state or locality for vehicles they use primarily to transport people with qualifying disabilities. To apply, an agency must provide a letter on their letterhead describing their facility or agency, a copy of their New York State facility license and a list of the vehicles they use to transport people with disabilities.

There is no fee for the issuance of a parking permit. The permit is designed to hang from the rearview mirror when parked, but should be removed when the vehicle is being operated. Expired permits are not valid and cannot be used. If your permit is due to expire, contact the Town Clerk's Office to find out about the renewal procedures. 

New York permits for people with disabilities are available only to New York State residents. However, New York does honor out-of-state permits and if you're traveling to another state, be sure to check with the police or motor vehicle agency of the other state to be certain.


Disability Parking Permit Application